Monday 27 May 2019

It is time for a Liverpudlian Prime Minister


I have been struggling to decide who I was going to back for the next Conservative Party leader, and then Prime Minister. 

We have the continuity May candidates of Rory Stewart, Matt Hancock and Jeremy Hunt. We have the Brexit candidates of Boris Johnson, Esther McVey, Andrea Leadsom and Dominic Raab. We also have Michael Gove, plus there may be more to join the fray.

I have struggled who to back. I did always want Dominic Raab to be leader. Dominic seems to be the leader we needed to sort out Brexit and come back with a decent, conservative government with optimism at its heart. But he has let me and many others down. He has decided to near enough back HS2, keep foreign aid at its current amount, allow Huawei into our 5G network and to accept the discredited Withdrawal Agreement with some tinkering around on the backstop. This simply is not good enough and what I want in our next leader.

I want a candidate who will lower taxes and foreign aid. A leader that will connect with blue collar, Northern voters. A leader that will invest in our police. A leader that will scrap HS2. Most importantly, I want a leader who will fight our corner in Europe and leave on a WTO basis. That leader is Esther McVey. 

I have met Esther on numerous occasions as she is a constituency neighbour and I can see the dedication and passion she could bring to the role of Prime Minister. So, after much deliberation, I have decided that the next leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister should be Esther McVey, the Liverpudlian. Bless John McDonnell's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment