Saturday 23 March 2019

Mrs. May must go now


Vividly, I remember when Grant Shapps called for Mrs. May to resign in late 2017 and it was widely derided by the whole Conservative Party - including Brexiteers - and I was one of the few on the side of Mr. Shapps. I love to say 'I told you say so', but this time, it is not so sweet.

The Prime Minister was a Remainer. Despite the rumours that she may take an active role in the Leave campaign, she didn't, and was a silent assassin so she could gain the keys to No. 10. She had promise, but she should have resigned after the 2017 GE. I have to say, Mrs. May is not my type of politician, socially or economically, and I did not support her, but I tried my level best. Since the election, it has gone downhill. First being the Joint Report, then Chequers, then the discredited and abominable Withdrawal Agreement. Cabinet should not fulfil its duty and tell her the game is up, and Mr. May should replicate the attitudes of Denis Thatcher. She must go now. 

According to journalists Sam Coates and Tim Shipman, the three candidates are her former enemy, Michael Gove, her de-facto Deputy, David Lidington, and her loyal Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt. Since the Brexit campaign and before, Michael was who I wanted for PM. But not now. I would not be shocked if he agreed to a so-called 'Norway Plus' Brexit, and the other two would be equally worse. Do not be deceived that Jeremy Hunt went on GMB after we voted to Leave, saying we must remain the Single Market. I will not even talk about David Lidington, who is on par with Ken Clarke on his Euroscepticism. 

We do need a leader, and a new PM, that is a fact. It must be fast. It must start by Cabinet fulfilling its duty. I am throwing my hat in the ring in support of the principled, authentic, former lawyer, Dominic Raab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment